Thursday, February 19, 2015

California Dreamin'

Remember my CAlifornia Love post? We sure have our problems, but as everyone is getting plastered with snow and blizzard after blizzard, I find myself a little prideful when I eat lunch with the beautiful sun rays shining on my skin at a comfortable 83 degrees. 

I thought I would share some more funnies I found around the web regarding my current state. 

http://vsalas.tumblr.com/

A couple days ago I walked out of the house shivering. Then looked at Ross and exclaimed, "It's like Spring in Utah!" Just to be a butthead. Californias don't do below 65. 

  • "You think the USC/ UCLA rivalry is a really big deal. A really, really big deal." 



I always look back to when my sister-in-law quizzed us on our California alliances. We were all, "We aren't into sports so, we don't really have alliances." But when she continued to quiz us, "Angels or Dodgers? 49ers or Raiders? Lakers or Clippers? UCLA or USC." We had emphatic responses. And we don't even watch sports.

I think I shared a link to The Californias sketches/ characters from SNL right? Well, I don't think I talk like that, but I do acknowledge I talk a little funny. 


But I'm not so far gone as Valley Speak. They like totally have their own Wiki page. Also, The Valley is not any valley. Know this. 

While I am speaking of not The Valley, let's take a minute to acknowledge my hometown.

  • "You live next to two major fault lines and your house is still worth over $500,000." 
Truth. Also probably the reason why, even if Ross becomes a cardiac-surgeon-anesthesiologist-dermatology-plastic-surgeon-in-Beverly-Hills-king, we could never afford to actually live here. 
  • "Every year is supposed to be "the big one."
The big one what? If you don't know, you don't have to worry. But clearly none of us are worrying either, we hear it every couple of years. 

In California we have a bunch of funny words that you probably don't know how to pronounce. From the Cajon Pass, to Cahuenga Blvd to Fort Tejon or La Cienega. You think knowing Spanish pronunciation would make things easier but not always because you'll find yourself in a pickle with (the apparently heavily debated) Los Feliz. 

But don't get overwhelmed, I can start you on something easy like Sepulveda, Van Nuys, or La Jolla.

http://blocked-imagination.tumblr.com/

The other night I was watching The Bachelor (I know, I know) and I heard then say that his hometown had about 400 people. FOUR HUNDRED. My high school graduating class had more people than that.



Just a couple more.

  • No one has a basement 

When I heard about what basements were, I was confused. Sooo... is it a storage area? Or a place for bedrooms? Even after I got a handle on the fact that they could be either, it made me laugh when people wouldn't count it as a floor.
         "Do you live in a two-story or one-story house?"
         "Two stories. Well, and it has a basement."
         "OMG YOU LIVE IN A THREE STORY MANSION."

But to be honest, I still kind of think that way.

  • You judge people based on their area code. 

Oh heavens yes. Area codes for days, all of them coming with a rap.

2 comments:

  1. You...stop rubbing your amazing weather in my face:( We just went into our friends' igloo in Central Park, which I thought was cool, until your post made me think "wouldn't it be even cooler not to have any snow!!!?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Cece, that igloo does sound pretty cool though. As long as it has a space heater inside. :D Stay warm!!

      Delete