Tuesday, February 24, 2015

QW #23: If You Dream...

I think sometimes I can sound a little negative. But I call that realism.
Realist: You are a true realist! You don't really believe in positive or negative thinking, you believe in the truth and the now. You always see the practical side of things, always weighing your options and foreseeing the most probable outcome. You are very calculated, smart, and you don't make rush decisions. You just see things for what they are, without all the crap, which makes you a great person to get life advice from.

Real enough to know that good things can happen, but life also happens.
Source: Get Back to Work by Drew Ellis

"If you dream big enough anything can come true. Just kidding get back to work." 

Personally, I am a little tired of people and things telling me that I am only limited by how big I dream. Because (to borrow words from a Disney princess), "a dream is a wish your heart makes," but then work is stuff your brain and hands do. Maybe this is all unsaid but implied. 

Not to turn biblical, but ever heard of the scripture verse in James 2:17? It reads, "Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone." In this case, faith would be dreams. Faith and dreams take a lot of hard work.

We live in a society that tells us we can have anything and everything we want at our finger tips in an instant. We forget that's not true for the bigger and better things in life. Ross can't become a doctor in an instant. And although he is working at the dream, chipping away at it, it takes a great deal of really intense work, for a trillion instants which add up to years and years. I don't think people really understand how long it will take Ross to be where he has always dreamed of. 

But more than that, I like the principle this quote conveys of, "hey- sometimes you have to do your time." I believe that sometimes dreams have to take the back burner. Ross is working hard at his dream. I am not. The fact of the matter (especially in relationships) is that someone has to sacrifice. And although sacrificing everything to move to Grenada for Ross's dream was probably one of the more extreme dreams-on-the-back-burner situations, that is the way it happened. I can dream big, but right now I just need to get back to work- literally. I have a job to do and money to make to pay rent :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment