Wednesday, September 3, 2014

QW #22: Homemade Happiness Extract

I'll be the first to admit that "happiness" tends to elude me. In this time of transition (again) in my life, it seems like so many things are continually going wrong in a world of perpetual "hiccups." 

That's why, when perusing my favorites quotes, I decided right away this was a good one to write on today. 


"The art of being happy lies in the power of extracting happiness from common things." -Henry Ward Beecher

When I got thinking about this quote, it occurred to me that happiness can be found in moments. In the roller coaster world in which we live, it's perfectly okay to be happy one moment, then not the next. I think we fool ourselves into thinking that happiness is a status we must achieve and maintain for "x" amount of days before it fully counts. You have to be a happy person, or a happy family, or be happy with your job, or whatever.

That's a silly way to think. 

I like to think of happy moments. Little rays of sunshine in what can sometimes be a gloomy day.

As I've been unpacking and getting settled in a new apartment I've been doing a lot of arranging and rearranging and configuring and re-configuring. As I sat back the other day to look at this spot I couldn't help but feel very pleased with myself. This little spot in my new home made me feel so happy! I remember thinking what a dumb and little thing it was, but everything about it just brought a smile to my face.


This ray of sunshine is my small dinning room. It sounds a little too formal for an area outfitted in a borrowed card table and folding chairs but that's exactly what it is. Blue and yellow has to be my favorite color combination since the beginning of time, and sunflowers are my favorite flower. So it makes sense why this little eating area makes me so happy.  I took common things and with my creativity, I set up this spot. I love the way the sun comes in during the day and lights up the room (which you can't see because otherwise the photo would be backlit). 


My absolute favorite part of this room isn't the striking color combo, nor the sunflowers.

It's the tablecloth.

Now, a tablecloth would usually meet Beecher's "common" requirement. But this isn't any old tablecloth. My mom made this tablecloth for me. And although you can't see the intricate stitching and detailing, believe me that it took my mom hours, weeks, and months to make this for me. I see it multiple times a day and I think of all the love (and maybe secretly a little frustration) she poured into creating it just for me.

And that makes me really very happy. 

I don't think that I'll ever win the lottery (no mind that I don't play the lottery...). I don't think I'll ever strike it rich or make it big. But for now I can work on extracting happiness from common things in my life. Because that's a start that's good enough for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment