Saturday, September 6, 2014

Duckling Takes the Harbor

My heart often goes out to my parents. Because I think I am more crazy as an adult than I ever was as a child. What I am saying is, if they thought it was bad when I was a teen, they had another thing coming, because now I'm really insane and I live close enough to be annoying.

When I asked my parents if they wanted to go see a giant inflatable duckie in the Los Angeles harbor, I don't think they were surprised. But they were hesitant to come along, and I had no clue why.

IT IS A GIANT RUBBER DUCK.

But they are amazing parents, and they came.

By the time we navigated to it, I came to find out my parents had no idea that it was giant.


I had a good laugh at this, they thought their crazy daughter wanted to drive all the way down to L.A. to see a  5 foot duck floating in the harbor?! (admittedly, something I might do)



No. This is a 60-foot duck, that has spent the last seven years traveling the world.



The duck came with a story about a pretty famous episode from 1992 (maybe only famous if your parents are scientist and love the ocean).



In '92 a shipping crate en route from Hong Kong to Tacoma, WA went overboard and was lost at sea. 29,000 bath toys spent the next 20 years washing up in the darndest of places from Hawaii to Alaska, down to South America. But that's not all, they also washed up in Australia, the pacific northwest, Scotland, England, even frozen in Arctic ice. This accidental demonstration "revolutionized" our understanding of ocean currents. These "Friendly Floatees" have quite the following.

Also, rubber ducks are just really cute and fun to take pictures with.



My partner in crime when it comes to convincing mom and dad to do stuff.



Big duck and little duck together.


Afterwards we headed over to the San Pedro fish market. I know this may be hard to believe, but I had never been there. Not even mom had been there! My dad is sometimes in the area during the week, and was therefore surprised to see it was so busy. 



The way it works: You can pick out fresh fish from this room where they are on ice, or you can go to the counter and order. You can pick a little of this or a little of that, what ever your heart desires and your pocketbook can take. For the amount of dead fish hanging around that joint, it wasn't too stinky. Let's not forget my comparative experiences at the fish market in Grenada.


You pick out the goods, then you take it to this window where the grill it up and season it for you. They have other vendors around where you can buy other types of food. Like spicy corn.


You can tell my mom is the one that lives and works in Palmdale because she was all about that spicy corn. And good thing too, because it was delicious.

When our food came out, we realized perhaps we over-bought.


Literally a cafeteria tray heaped with seafood. Sweet juicy seafood. Get in my belly!!

Afterwards we somehow all got in the car and rolled our way over to Long Beach. We stopped at this bookstore called Piccilo's, where every book is only a $1.



Oh yes. The only downside is that there is no AC, so you might die in the process of sorting through hundreds of thousands of books to find some you want. But if you love pretty much all books, that shouldn't be a problem (yes, my family loves bookstores).



Ross browsing the comics. And a couple of my favorite finds:



Cher, always a winner. And Joan Rivers who promises to bounce back, because she survived everything, and she means everything. Too soon? 



No comments:

Post a Comment