Monday, September 8, 2014

Music Mondays #14: Secrets

Music Mondays are becoming my favorite part of my blog because I can ramble and consider it an update on my life.

Now I have Sirius xm Radio in my car, I have exposure to lots of new music, and of course now I can listen to the Pilion station and bug the crap out of Ross. Definitely a plus. I heard "Secrets" by Mary Lambert and I first I was mostly weird'd out and turned off. After a quick comment about it to my mom, who I thought would agree with me, she just said, "Yes, it is interesting."

I took that cue to look it up and take a closer listen, after which, I decided that I really liked it.

-May Lambert- Secrets (ft. B.o.B.) (Warning: One or two swears)


I honestly haven't listened to much of her other music, but I like that because it makes this Music Monday different from others.

The song is a list of a bunch of her secrets with the catchy refrain:

"They tell us from the time we're young, to hide the things that we don't like about ourselves,
Inside ourselves,
I know I'm not the only one who spent so long attempting to be someone else,
Well, I'm over it."

It's alarmingly true. We keep all these secrets inside and social media helps us highlight all the highs and bests in our lives. Lambert's song is filled with funny, odd, sad, and interesting "secrets." The song got me thinking of some of my own secrets that I could share with the world my blog readers. I think secrets are sometimes just weird things about ourselves that you'd die if someone found out about. So don't worry, this isn't a blog post that'll make you feel awkward for reading it. You won't have to reevaluate our friendship or call me up to make sure I'm stable. Although, you can if you want.

Secret #1


Growing up I kinda hated on women who were all "stay at home mom and love it!!!!!" Cos I felt like they had no personality or goals. But now, I really want that for myself. Not the mom thing. Just the stay at home thing. But instead of raising the next generation, managing a household, and otherwise being supermom, I'll sit around and binge watch every episode of anything on Netflix. Take that for personality and life goals! (Future Employers: Totally a joke! ... Hire me please?) 

Secret #2


I hate that my hair is turning darker now I'm not constantly in the sun. I've always been a kinda "all natural embrace your color" kinda girl. But now, and not so secretly now, I wish I had the money to get it dyed to how it was a few months ago. 

Secret #3


You guys, I loved Miley Cyrus's Wrecking Ball. I loved it like a secret chocolate cake at a Weight Watchers meeting. Because I knew it was bad for me, and I knew I shouldn't, but I did. Ooooohh, I did. I'm not one for pop music and I've never listened to Miley's music other than the first few seconds of a song before I changed the radio station. So this caught me totally off guard but ... This was a "listen on repeat" thing for like, at least a few weeks.

That was liberating. As Mary sings,

"I don't care if the world knows what my secrets are, secrets are (x2)
So what."

So what are your secrets that you don't care if the world knows about?

Piolín

Piolín

No comments:

Post a Comment