Friday, July 10, 2015

Who's Stew?

As Ali and I were sitting around talking about different evening itineraries, I could tell she was frustrated that she had to work while I was on vacation. Work is lame, so I can't blame her. But all of a sudden she lit up when she suggested two words.

Stew Leonard's.



"It's like.... Chuck E. Cheese, met.... IKEA.... and maybe Trader Joes."

Ummm.... I'm in. As my interest was piqued and I simultaneously laughed in horror, she went on.

"It's a grocery store, but more artisan and specialized like Trader Joes, but it is progressive like how you would go through IKEA, aand there are animatronic animals around the store."

It wasn't long before we were in the car on our way to Yonkers to do some shopping at Stew's.


There are only four Stew Leonard's in the whole world. The New York Times deemed it "The Disneyland of Dairy Stores." I can't say I've been to many "dairy stores" but it was certainly an adventure.

Eighty percent of the products sold in the store are brought in daily or mad in the store! Imagine all the possibilities- while I get to experience them. Ali raves about the fresh mozzarella knots and Italian cold cuts.



Oh Italians, you do it to me every time!

As you walk through the store your arms slowly fill fill food and you regret not getting a cart. Oops! You also get to enjoy these strange little animatronic shows on top of bananas, or freezers, or shelves.


As if that wasn't entertaining enough, they also have these little trapeze characters that are themed for whatever department you are in. Like a chef Mickey for the bakery, a lobster for the seafood.


YES. A whole seafood department that is not part of the meat department. Hello Heaven!

Among all the fresh made products, there is a hot buffet portion where you pay for hot food by the ounce. Chicken, salmon, salads... load 'em up!



I was salivating but my sister assured me that the cheese and cold cuts would cut it.

Since they are famous for their dairy it's pretty much a sin to leave without ice cream right?!
Yeah we thought so too. We grabbed some ice cream sandwiches.

Bye for now Stew, can't promise I won't be back before I leave this state!



When we got back home Ali showed me how it's done.



The cheese isn't very salty on it's own so paired with the sopressata it's delicious! So fresh. I just can't get enough. Now I know what I'm doing while Ali is gone at work! Eating everything pictured above.



No comments:

Post a Comment