Thursday, July 16, 2015

A Slice, A Lighthouse, and a Playground of ...Teeth?

Don't tell anyone but after all this time in New York, I STILL haven't had a slice ah pizza. Sorry New Yorkers, Italians, and myself. However, I fixed that today.

My sister works during the day, which allows me a certain amount of creativity in my daily activities. I had it on very good Italian authority that the nearest pizza place was, "a good place to go it you like terrible pizza." And since I don't, I wasn't going to bother. I looked up another place though, and set out. It was about a twenty minute walk, a little sketchy at times, but my eyes were on the pizza prize.



And let me tell you, I walked by, did a double-take and reluctantly walked in. Picture this- five dudes just bummin' around behind the counter (sooo do you work here?). Whole pies chillin' behind a plastic case on shelves. Didn't look very fresh but I was already there so I ordered. 

Dude slides a slice onto the counter. Slides a pizza paddle under it, and pops it in an oven. 
.... 

A few minutes later it comes out.

"Want it to go?" 
*shoves it in a bag* 

I go on my way, but I'm pretty hungry so I get at dat. 

Wow.


It was so good. For sitting on a shelf it was so fresh. You can tell its quality ingredients. It's a thinner crust pizza and so it's time in the pizza oven was well served. Also, I have never had sausage quite like that! Teo says they look like bat wings.

Later that day Ali and I headed over to Sleepy Hollow. We heard from a now questionable source that there was a 100% legal and reliable way to get in, even after it is purportedly closed.



There is a trail that goes along the backside of the cemetery, but everything was closed up pretty tight. If it wasn't barbed wire it was mini cliffs that dropped into who-knows-how-deep shrubbery.



Sorry dead Washington Irving, guess we can't visit your bones today.

Next, off to neighboring Tarrytown. It's a cute little place, like all the wealthy places in Westchester County. Ali taught me that you can take the girl out of the hood, but you can't take the hood out of the girl. She taught me her hoodrat ways and we crawled through this sketchy hole in the fence. She reassured me that it was totally legit by explaining that everyone from pot-smoking teens to 90-year-old grandparents routinely traversed through the chain-link.

When in Rome right?



We walked out to the little lighthouse. And despite getting tangled in some spiderwebs, walked around the little grate walkway.



Enjoying the quiet night and once again beautiful skies!

By the time we came back it was pretty dark and lightning bugs were everywhere. I love those little guys. It was Ali's first time noticing them. On our way back through the park I saw this... playground?



Financed by your neighborhood dentist I suppose. We may need to call in back-up for that decaying tooth. I think a root canal is in order.



No comments:

Post a Comment