Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Carvel and Food Glorious Food!

When I finished writing this post I realized that I sound crazy. Yes, I love food. No, I do not understand what about food here has me singing and dancing like my 4th grade version an orphan in the musical Oliver. "Food! Glorious Food! We're anxious to try it!"

Today we kept things simple. We walked over to the local ice cream place which just so happened to be the famous Carvel ice cream.


I have noticed that New York is all about the soft serve. Usually when I think of soft serve I think of somewhat crappy but somehow delicious McDonald's ice cream. I remember in Grenada when a place got soft serve people were falling over themselves. I didn't get it. I now understand that is because I am a west-coast human. Because East Coast soft serve is where it's at!

Soft serve round here is so rich and creamy. Swirl machines are the best. I'm not indecisive, I just want it all. Imagine when I laid my eyes on this magnificent machine.


I was practically gasping for air as I tried to point and express to Ali the important of that beautiful, center level that would soon dispense my dream come true.


Okay, that's so dramatic. But things got a lot more dramatic when I got a Sundae Dasher. It was so rich I couldn't even finish it all. We walked over to a park to eat our ice cream. The village is so small we were already in a different city by the time we had walked a few blocks.



Back at home with the sunset.



Speaking of soft serve... Ali and I finally dug in to those ice cream sandwiches from our trip to Stew Leonard's. They are made with soft serve too. I have found out that makes all the difference! Instead of a melty outside and an frozen iceberg-solid core, it is the perfect softness throughout. Why are they so small?! Oh yeah, so I can eat 15 in one sitting. Cookie Ice Cream Monster! nom nom nom



Also from Stew Leonard's, but not soft serve, this pretzel roll & Italian cold cuts & fresh mozzarella sandwich turned out amazing.



Ali and I have been having incredibly good luck this trip. Remember when we got a free trip to Grand Central and saved $30? Or when we barely had to wait in line at Katz's?

We also picked the most delicious watermelon ever. I like watermelon. But this watermelon was like candy. Ali and I can't stay away from it, and it is guilt-free, so it feeds our ferocity.



And last of the random food updates is brought to you by my sister's landlords. Ali lives beneath an awesome Italian couple who treats my sister like their daughter. They are so nice and always bringing food. One day it was homemade eggplant parm (I thought I didn't like eggplant- I did then!) Another day this plate FULL of cake. Sheet cake is meh but this stuff was good!


I feel like I am going slightly crazy here. I sound so dramatic, like I have never eaten before. But it seems like everything that comes out of a New York kitchen is laced with cocaine. I just can't get enough.



No comments:

Post a Comment