Friday, November 14, 2014

Quarter of a Century!

Sometimes, I make my birthday unnecessarily difficult. Like too much pressure on those I love with my passive aggressive interest. Every year is the new best birthday and about May or so I get some wacky, over-the-top idea about what my friends and I are going to do for my birthday. Then about September or so I understand that not everyone will make it but that, I'll still do some thing great with a close friend or family member. THEN about mid October I know no one will make it, and money might be tight, but without a doubt, I WILL DO SOMETHING MAGICAL FOR MY BIRTHDAY! Then about a week out from my birthday and get grumpy and secretly but not-so-secretly convince myself my birthday will suck and no one cares.

Yeah. 

It's a lot. 

And with this year being my ever-magical quarter of a century, big 2-5, TWENTY FIVE YEAR BIRTHDAY, tensions were even higher. 

I know this is loooong story short, but I am pleased to announce that this year's birthday may have been the best yet!! It was so much fun to feel an outpouring of love from all the best people in my life. 

I was bummed to find out that Ross just started the (rumored?) most grueling rotation of third year the week of my birthday. So you can imagine my pure shock when Ross told me he had a short day the day before my birthday, and the night shift on my birthday. I guess I'm getting used to him constantly being gone because this was music to my ears. THIS! ladies and gentlemen, was a schedule I could work with! So we planned to leave Thursday night for San Diego and stay a little on Friday (my birthday) before heading back so Ross could get back to school/ work. Ross kindly agreed that this would work so we made it happen. 

Thursday night (after a comedy of errors) we ended up eating at this way-to-chic-for-me sushi place in downtown San Diego. I'm not sure if I enjoyed it, or if I was just way too overwhelmed with chopstick mal-use insecurity. Because that's a real thing. But despite my chopstick utilizing, sushi grappling lack of skills, it was amazing, beautiful, and unique.


I spent the rest of the night with a debilitating headache but that's almost standard now. 

Friday morning we were up and off to Old Town San Diego, an accomplice in the previous Honeymoon From Hell melodrama circa 2011. It was amazing to go back and have a short, simple, fun look around. We started at the Mormon Battalion Museum.



Everything else was closed but you know you can always count on the Mormons to have those doors open bright and early. I was fully expecting it to be pretty lame (albeit a good place to kill time -Bad Mormon Of The Year Award). I was blown off my feet to see a really interesting and interactive exhibit!

I got to teach Ross how to pan for gold because hello, I graduated from fourth grade in California so I know a lot of important things about California history (starting to learn that fourth grade was a pivotal point in my life).



Proud miners with our gold nuggets... that we got to keep... so pretty much we are rich.

Afterwards we saw this fantastic car in the parking lot. I have no idea.



Then wandered around Old Town.



Eyeballing fancy things that I need to have in my life.



And enjoying some history.



Oh, and creepy llama toys that were very soft but very possibly made out of human hair.

After all that we were pretty famished so we at at the much anticipated Rockin' Baja Lobster. We were going to eat here on HFH (Honeymoon From Hell) but we spent all our money on car repairs and consequently ate frozen pizza. #stillbitter But now Ross is a doctor and I pan for gold, we are pretty much rich, so it was time.



The decor was awesome, it had a fun cantina feel and the food was absolutely amazing! We got a free dessert since it was my birthday but we were so full I don't know how we ate any of it.



Also, I got a pina coloada because I AM 15 YEAR OLD KRISTEN AND I DO WHAT I WANT. It was fabulous, btw.

We were pretty fat and happy so we decided to head home. It was a perfect birthday and to add to the joy I got a call from a potential job that they wanted to move me forward to the next step in the hiring process and check out my references! Wahoo (not that I need a job because of said mining).

On the way home I slowly opened my presents because I love the mystery of not knowing. But I also love presents. You can see the "before" picture on the right. My LUSH induced haze as I sniff the present and my eyes roll back in my head. And the "after" picture on the left as I am still ecstatic even though I already knew it was something from LUSH.



Here is my birthday loot form Ross.



LUSH, beautiful purple abalone earrings, LEGO minifigures, and Minnetonka shoes! I have wanted Minnetonka shoes ever since I was young. It was a fun surprise to unwrap them because I had no idea. I even saw some while we were walking around Old Town and sighed a heavy sigh that "Someday, I will get some."

When we got home I was overjoyed to see so many packages sitting by the door! Ross saw the flowers and had a moment of panic like, "Shoot! FLOWERS! I should have gotten her flowers!" I was so excited to get beautiful bright flowers. All set up in a vase and everything.



My parents came that evening because I had hatched a plan, so the birthday festivities continued!

With pizza of course.



We hung out a bit, and I opened even more presents.



I love the wide variety, it is so fun to see how well everyone knows me. Arts and crafts, glow sticks, flowers, and nail polish. I wish you could see the pictures better, particularly of the nail polish. I can't wait to put it to use.

Sadly Ross had to get to work, but my parents whisked me away to Palmdale.



I had some "birthday" pumpkin cheesecake, and got to hang out and relax with the family. Words cannot express what a great birthday it was. It's funny to think back at how wildly different it was from my previous birthday. I feel so honored and blessed to be surrounded by such amazing people that call me their friend. I am a lucky person and I look forward to all that 25 has to offer.

In particular... My next big adventures. Which just so happens to start on MONDAY!




No comments:

Post a Comment