Friday, October 3, 2014

Oh Hai Utah: Part I

This morning I woke up in Mesquite. Here was my view. Deja vu to only two months prior.


But first let me back up so you don't think I woke up from a drugged induced coma, gagged and bound in the middle of the desert in Nevada. 

Ali and I, being consistently unemployed, have talked about going on a road trip. I, being the crazy and somewhat financially irresponsible one, said it should be a long one. A BIG one. Just leave one day and start driving. Doesn't everyone secretly want to do that? Well I do. Ali suggested a road trip to Utah, having family, friends, and specifically two sisters there, we thought that would be a good destination. Ali gave in to the idea that maybe we could stop at the Grand Canyon at some point. 

BUT, as things turned out, momma was able to come! It kind of happened really fast, and we knew it would have to be a quick trip so mom could get back to work (work?! what's work?). But nevertheless we wanted to see my sister for her birthday. 


We set out after work on Thursday night, stopping of course at the coveted Mad Greek Cafe. I got a Baklava shake which was actually 10,000 more times amazing than you would hope. Sometimes, I still have dreams about it, faint sweet delicious tastes of it in my mouth. 


Mad Greek is absolutely classic, and we all know my love affair with Greek food, so it was a good time.


In fact, maybe a little too good. Funny story. I was standing by the table as we were getting ready to leave, Ali was still sitting in the booth. When I hear, coming from the booth a couple away from us. 

"Must be good."

I guess I was in my baklava shake happy place because apparently I was staring out the window slurrping up the last but of flaky pastry goodness from the cup. Embarrassed and surprised by him calling me out, I did my classic nervous laugh, accompanied by some stupid comment about, "Oh yeah, it's a baklava shake, and it's pretty good." Then did a Napoleon Dynamite dash out of the restaurant. Okay people, I AM SORRY THAT I NEED A MOMENT WITH MY SHAKE. #noregrets


We stopped for the night in Mesquite, saving the rest of the trip for tomorrow. That just about brings me to the beginning of this post, but not without mentioning my engineering genius. 


I realize that is a bold assertion when Ali is right there, but I do not take it back. My sister has a bit of a foot issue, meaning, she hates when people touch her feet. On accident or intentionally, doesn't matter. Now of course, that makes sharing a bed a bit tricky. But I came up with a great idea... a pillow divider down by our feet. Now the feet shall remain separate but equal, along with the added benefit of some nice air circulation. Voila!

And that ladies and gentlemen, is how I woke up in Mesquite.

No comments:

Post a Comment