Monday, October 13, 2014

Indian Dress & All The Rest

I get pretty lonely 'round these parts, even with Ross's relatively nice schedule, I can get down about how few actual connections I have here locally. I love being back in America and so close to so much family that can always be there for me and the crazy adventures I love to have. But coming back to America and family and friends meant that I did have to leave some very near and dear friends behind.



I never wrote about it, but by far one of the most difficult things about leaving Grenada was leaving behind not my colleagues, but my friends. I grew closer to those women than I did any of my neighbors or people in the Significant Others organization. I try my best to keep in touch, but it just doesn't replace 8am conversations, 5 hour shifts, birthday parties, and craft nights.



I always felt loved and cared about. I knew that saying goodbye to the island meant saying goodbye to them. Even after my last day of work, I kept coming back to hang out and say goodbye again.



I would leave Grenada and that experience a thousand more times, but I don't think my heart could handle saying goodbye to them even half of a time more.

You can imagine my joy when a piece of my Grenada friends arrived on my doorstep. Figuratively that is. My friend Anitha mentioned that she would pick up some Indian clothes for me when she was there over the summer. Probably partially because she knows I adore her outfits, but mostly because she loves me. The start of the school year is always insane for her with orientation and all the new students but she still found time to get things together to ship to me. And with the help of my other dear friend Karla, the package was off and headed across the seas to find me.

But THREE pieces of beautiful clothing?! Spoiled rotten.



 I was overcome with love! Not because of material possessions but because of the amount of love that went into this gift. I was pretty speechless, but when words failed and I was frustrated that I couldn't express my gratitude, I remembered one of my favorite Anitha sayings,

"Sharing is the only way we make it through."

Or something to that affect. I have never met another person that has so much love and caring in her heart. Thank you Anitha, I love my new Indian dress and I miss you so much!


No comments:

Post a Comment