Monday, April 1, 2013

Easter 2013

Yesterday was Easter! By far one of my favorite holidays. I have always loved Easter. It is such a wonderful time of year, and the cute baby animals that are associated with it aren't bad either. :)

This Easter was definitely the most different Easter I have ever had to date. Everything is just a little different here in Grenada. There is always a new experience to be had or tradition to be formed.

The morning started out with a visit from the Easter Bunny. The Easter Bunny is so cool he even decorated the table. That guy has great taste and an eye for design!

















Ross got some candies and a candy thermometer. I know that may seem pretty weird but Ross's favorite thing maybe in the whole world is making his family caramel corn recipe so he is always needing a candy thermometer to make it just right.

I got some cute decorated eggs!

I am pretty proud of these little baskets I crocheted. I can't believe they actually worked out.

















When Ross was little the Easter Bunny would hide the whole Easter basket and he would spend the morning looking for it. Well, the Easter Bunny likes traditions so he hid it this year too. Unlucky for Ross though, the basket was pretty tiny so it hid pretty well. :) But eventually he found it and got the goodies!

Then Ross and I headed to church. Except this Sunday was a little different. Instead of going to the church meetings in Grand Anse we traveled way up to the other side of the island to Grenville. There are not as many church members in Grenville, and I guess most all of them headed to Grand Anse. When we got to the church building, there were two missionaries, and ONE person! Haha.



Oh, and the church building is actually a top floor apartment and they use the rooms for the services. Here is Ross by the building, you can see the missionaries out on the balcony.
I loved the service, because it is a good reminder that it is not requisite to worship in a fancy building. It can be simple and meaningful when it comes from the heart.

















Afterwards Ross and I were able to the nearby kite festival with some friends. It was beautiful and my friend was telling me that they fly the kites to symbolize Christ rising from the dead and being resurrected. I will post some pictures of the kites later.

When we eventually wandered home we were pretty tired and sunburned. Ross is a stud and made Easter dinner. He had the ham going in the slow cooker first thing in the morning.






















We had the classic ham, potatoes, and carrots.


















Of course Master Chef Ross did an amazing job. The simple potatoes were probably our favorite, definitely our comfort food. Also I was just super happy to not have to cook.

This Easter was really different for us. Holidays for us mean being surrounded by family and friends. Holidays mean big dinners and candy and parties! Even when Ross and I were dating and away from our homes we took a trip up to Idaho to see his grandparents. But I think we are getting used to our holidays in Grenada. You do what you can to bring home and family to you then take it from there!

HAPPY EASTER!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment