Monday, March 9, 2015

Music Mondays #16: We All Start Again

Ross is Alarm Man. Since pretty much all my transportation is dependent on Ross's schedule, he is in charge of setting the alarm or letting me know when we need to wake up to get out the door on time. Perhaps it's a little juvenile, but I refuse to feel daily frustration at schedule upheaval due to medical school. The point of this diatribe is to say that Ross sets the alarm and periodically changes the music for the alarm. Currently it is, "Days Go By" by The Offspring. It's a good song, and therefore causes less panic and commotion when it goes off.


I usually have the song stuck in my head during the day, and I got to thinking it would be a great Music Monday. In my very first Music Monday I mentioned how people are usually surprised at my music preferences. Now you find yourself with the information that I listen to The Offspring, maybe you are surprised once again. "Days Go By" is off one of their newer albums, so maybe it is less known because who listens to The Offspring outside of the 90s anyways, right?


But let's get to it.
"All our yesterdays are pictures lost in time. Never enough, towers crumble to dust. Looking back on the moments of our lives." 
Awhile back I started a post about looking back on my time in Grenada. Writing these lyrics makes me laugh because Grenada seems to be just that; pictures lost in time, huge monuments of adversity that are just dust now.

You guys, it's March. Almost the TENTH of March in fact. It seems like time is just flying by.
"Stars still burn bright, seasons change overnight. As we find a way the times they come and go." 
Grenada days are long gone, and even Ross's 3rd year is zipping along. Our friends in Grenada just put in preferences for clinical placement, and our friends a year ahead of us have ten days until The Match (for residency). As we find a way through life, time has a habit of just rolling along.
"Look back in love, a new day rises above. With the wind it comes to carry you back home."
I love this line because it seems to me that looking back in love is dependent on the new day rising above. When we have the promise of a new day I think it is easier to look back with love. Not because those times seem to have been easier, but because we have a new day ahead to start fresh.

"All your anger all your hurt doesn't matter in the end. Those days go by and we all start again. What you had and what you lost, they're all memories in the wind. Those days go by and we all start again."

I almost like the fact that this song isn't so much about forgiveness or repentance or a resolution to do better. It's simply "... we all start again." It's the idea of the perspective we will gain. When? Not sure. But it will come eventually. Our pain and adversity, though never inevitable, will soon become a memory.





No comments:

Post a Comment