Wednesday, November 21, 2012

QW #8

As I was looking through some quotes for my entry today, something about this one just made me feel like it was the one for today.

"Never let the things you want make you forget the things you have."

Last week I flew back into the United States to surprise my friends and family for Thanksgiving! As the plane flew into Miami I was not expecting to feel the way I did...
I felt WEIRD.
I do not know how else to explain it, but it felt strange to be back, for so many reasons.
Mostly because I realize how much I have in my tiny home in Grenada.

I have been selfish lately, I have been wanting lots of things. And all this wanting made me forget everything, everyone, I already have. Not everything I have packed up in boxes in storage, not everyone I can come back to in two years. I have forgotten all that I have now.

During this trip I decided everyone should pack up about 100 pounds + a carry-on of belongings and move. Move anywhere out of your comfort zone, and start your life over.
You might feel angry, you might feel pitiful, and sad, and lonely, and helpless, and jealous, maybe even a little bitter. You might find yourself longing for something else, anything else.

In a few months, come visit said "old-life." And I hope, that you feel embarrassment at all those feelings. Because I do. I feel weird because I can laugh at everything we think, no, we "know" we need. Because 100 pounds + a carry-on isn't too bad. It isn't the most comfortable living but it is nice to know I don't need a closet full of clothes, I don't need a kitchen full of gadgets, I don't need a pantry full of junk food, I don't need a fancy big house. I have plenty.

I don't care how much you want, I don't mind how much you have, but I hope we do remember what we have now. And who knows, maybe that will result in wanting less altogether. 

1 comment:

  1. I like this. I felt like I had so much freedom after I got rid of all my stuff in Utah and packed only what we needed to come here to Grenada. I wasn't aware that all that stuff was holding me down. Now I am very aware of what I buy, because I don't want my posessions to control me again.

    ReplyDelete