Monday, October 12, 2015

DTLA

Friday afternoon Ross picked me up from work. Exhausted, I was excited because I knew I had a 4-day weekend upon me! But then the most beautiful thing happened.

ROSS TOLD ME HE HAD MONDAY OFF.

I think I choked. On my own breath. Maybe I zoned off into Lala Land of Impossibility. I don't know how long I was gone. But when I came to, I still didn't have many words. I tried to act cool.

"WANNA DO SOMETHING?!"

So we set some plans, mostly centered around Ross's recent hot dog craving. I personally crave two kinds of hot dogs. 1. LA hot dogs and 2. Jdawgs.

When you need a hot dog. You need a hot dog. So I got that boy a hot dog.

But not before stopping in downtown LA first. I've been to the flower market, and I've been to to classier part of downtown, lots of parts of it. Even the Skid Row part of it. But I never spent time in the fashion/garment district area.


It's all a bit overwhelming. Bloggers love to tell you their tips and tricks for fabric steals. But take it with a grain of salt because I felt like I was being bulldozed by 1,000 huge rolls of fabric on every corner.



How you grab said fabric out of the center of these rows, I do not know. No one is getting through this exit for a while.



But it was fun just walking around amongst it all. I kinda felt like I needed to leave some bread crumbs somewhere but luckily everything in DTLA is a grid and pretty easy to navigate even if it all starts looking the same after awhile.

The area isn't just for fabric though. This one shop (well, more than one) was dedicated to trimmings, ribbons, chains, jewels, rhinestones- almost floor to ceiling.


We also checked out Moskatel's, a huge warehouse style Michaels. They had huge Halloween displays including a haunted swamp shack surrounded by bubbling smoking water.



Craft items as far as the eye can see! Including probably 100 different floral arrangement cards!

Santee Alley ain't what it used to be, but you gotta walk down it just for the experience. $3 leggings and shoes and knock-off Mac make-up galore.



This Yelp review of Santee Alley, "Now I know what it's like to be sober in Tijuana. Guess i can check that off the bucket list of stuff I never wanted to do." Bahaha.



Last minute before we split for some hot dogs, we found a knock-off perfume shop. I always get a kick out of knock-off names (see proof here). So I was having the time of my life browsing.

U-GO BOOS.



I almost had tears rolling down my cheeks. I'm currently obsessed with Juicy Coture's Viva La Juicy. I found a sufficient knock-off and for $5 snatched it right up. This is perfect for me cos then I get to try out the scent without full monetary and day-long-effervescence commitment.

On our way back we cut through the Flower Market which was closing, but still fun to catch a glimpse of the busy-ness from earlier that morning.



Next we rolled over to the aforementioned Pink's hot dogs. An LA necessity.



I once saw it on a list of overrated things in LA. I was personally offended on both moral and emotional levels. Then I promptly lost offensive by drowning myself in a hot dog smothered in all sorts of guacamole and nacho cheese. Pink's hot dogs are my spirit animal. Or maybe the bacon on top of those fries.



I've been wanting to explore Los Angeles's beach communities a little more. For as long as I've been going to beaches here, I don't have much variety. Today seemed the perfect day to visit Manhattan beach.






It's the middle of October but still really hot.



We walked out on the pier but mostly just wanted to jump into the waves.



So we did the next best thing and visited a cute little ice cream and candy shop. They had pretty tasty looking cupcakes but our eyes were on the homemade ice cream sandwiches.



They were divine. Why can't every day be a day off?




No comments:

Post a Comment