Saturday, May 9, 2015

A Love Affair: Joshua Tree National Park

Remember my drama-packed love affair with Joshua Tree National Park?
Yeah that one. And almost every weekend after that when I thought I might make it happen. 

Well, earlier this week I took a look at the week's forecast. I saw it was supposed to be in the mid-70s.... in the middle of the desert... in May. Pretty much a sign from the heavens above that it was do-or-die. After the heatwave we had I thought I had missed my chance and that all the wildflowers would be gone anyways.


I guess the previous suffering was worth it, because Ross and I were in for a treat! 

Like we do, we packed a lunch and plenty of water and headed out... on the all too familiar road down to Joshua Tree this time just for a day trip. Here is quick recap of the day.


Our first stop was the "World Famous Crochet Museum." Funny, I had never heard of it until I dove into Yelp one day.


But being the world famous crocheter that I am, I figured it was worth a look. The museum is a tiny little closet shed. You walk in and... holy crochet Batman (there probably was one)! 


We are talking thousands of crocheted things. Kachina dolls, mushrooms, gnomes, tacos, oreos, flowers, frames, mermaids and poodles. Oh the poodles! A whole wall of them. 


It was awesome, my new goal in life. We poked around the area, where there were other art umm.... projects? 

Including a wall of hubcaps and a trailer full of busts. And never to be forgotten -but impossible to explain- "art" involving at least a hundred brightly colored and different sized dildos. 


We headed into the park, pretty cocky (oops) that we already had an annual pass. Ross picked out the "Dead Horse Mine" hike for us. 


The park was pretty busy but I guess our hiking trail was long enough and deep enough in the park where it wasn't packed. It was a beautiful day.


Surprisingly not as many Joshua Trees in this part of the park, but still beautiful.



Cactus in bloom!



And there were still tons of wildflowers (wildflower junkie).



I don't know how recent the fire was, but you could see the landscape trying to recover. It was kind of crazy to see that definite parts had burned. One side- lots of vegetation, the other- recovering.





When we got to the mine we stopped for a cold pizza lunch. Only the best lunch ever.



Then walked around the mine. I could only think of Zorro.


It was kind of breezy up there so we had to bust out the sweatshirt and jacket.
Ross gave me crazy eyes when he saw me staring at the rocks. Sorry I am a weirdo that things rocks are cool.



Speaking of rocks... After our hike we drove through the park a little bit



and found a big ol' pile o' rocks.



I mean really big.



I also found a little billy goat who loves to scale rock piles.



This slow-mo video isn't nearly as hilarious as I think it is.



But it looked like so much fun I thought I would try some climbing too.



We got a little scripped and scrapped up, but it was pretty challenging and really fun.
Next we made a little walk to a lookout point. It's crazy. You can see all of the Coachella Valley. The Salton Sea, Signal Mountain (close to the Mexico border), Palm Springs, Mount San Jacinto, and San Gorgonio. 



We decided it was time to head home, mostly because we were pretty worn out from all the hiking and climbing. But we couldn't resist one more pile of rocks on the way out.



Ross caught me in my zen place. The air was so cool and fresh, it was nice to just lay down and zone out.

And no trip to the desert would be complete without someone standing next to a joshua tree. So there you have it!








No comments:

Post a Comment