Sunday, August 7, 2016

W is for Wild Wild West: Tombstone Gunslingers

Arizona is an interesting place. As I am getting my footings I am learning more every day. I wasn't really sure what to expect when I got here. I had heard all sorts of things and made this mash up idea of what Arizona was, and I've just been going from there. If there is one thing I am (currently) sure of, it is Arizona is extremely proud of it's wild wild west heritage (and probably continued culture). Since we were down in the area we figured we might as well head just south to the old west town of Tombstone. Being a red-blooded American, it only made sense.



Being the early birds we are, we got there pretty much way before anything was going on. But that worked out because we headed to the visitors center and got a super helpful paper map. Plus, I could get my fill of those travel brochures I crave like crack cocaine.




We roamed around for a bit, in and out of the fun tourist shops. Of course I ogled all the turquoise jewelry and leather purses. I also debated if Ross now needs a bolo or cowboy hat. Because #arizonaresidents



Don't forget the kitschy stuff.



And in case you need a skinned animal face, or are in the market for a Tombstone "guard dog."



But overall, the must do in Tombstone is to see a live gunfight. There seems to be a bit of contention and debate about which one to go to. We settled on one a little farther down the street that took place indoors. Because, "everyone knows the gunfights took place inside saloons and hotels, NOT outside in the streets." Also, this one claimed to be the most accurate depiction of the Tombstone gun fights with plenty of historical context.



I'm not gonna front. I was really into it. Our seats were front and center and the actors cowboys did a great job. It was also interesting to learn all the famous stories (because, you know, it is the most accurate depiction after all).



It was fun to walk around the streets and read all the signs they have that describe the history of the town, including where all the famous gunfights happened.




It is interesting to imagine what life would've been like here in the 1880s. The OK Corral is probably the most famous when it comes to live gunfight depictions. They have their cowboys walk the streets, straight out of the Hollywood movie!



Of course we had to try some local sasparilla. You can tell Ross liked it.


And is it even the wild west if you don't get a picture in a coffin? 


South of Toughnut Street there is this "Old western town" with kiddo activities like panning for gold and mini golf. We had to make our way back north so we left without checking it out. ;)


I feel like there is definitely a "crowd" that likes these kind of things. I'm not a die hard fan, but it was still fun to have the time to check it out and enjoy some of history and action! 




No comments:

Post a Comment