Sunday, April 24, 2016

Lost

I think, there are times in life when we all feel lost. Not geographically. But you know the kind. I have this favorite quote, classically Pinterest-cliche, 
"Not all those who wander are lost." -J.R.R. Tolkien. But there are times in life when you wonder how long you can wander before you really are just... lost




My sister recently became the proud owner of a pair of birds.  Apparently birds can be tricky pets because they have an adjustment period and they can get sick and things can, "go wrong." If you know what I mean. My family was on pins and needles for my sister, hoping the birds would be okay in their new home. And after time, they appeared to be adjusting just fine. They are happy and healthy and the female even laid three cute little eggs. We were all so excited. 

But then the nervousness returned. Would the eggs be okay? Would the parental birds take good care of them? Is the environment conducive to hatching?! Well, one egg hatched!


And produced the most frightening and maybe cute looking thing. A baby bird.


I am happy to say that the bird continues to grow and grow! 



As I thought of this new little bird, I was reminded of this poem: 


"Some hatchings hurt: ...
The cracking 
of a hardened
fallacy.
The shatter-crumble 
of a bias
bind.
And the new learning 
softness
is so very tender. 
It's frightening to be
nothing more 
than the palest puff
that peeps.
And so remember
and remember
clarion call
to shelter:
"I will gather ...
as a hen
gathereth
her chickens
under her wings..."
A place to grow 
in strength." 

[Source]:Dianne Dibb Forbis, New Era, Dec. 1977, p. 7

When you're naive you think you're one big healthy bird cracking out of a one small shell. But in reality, life is one hatching after the next. And there are so many times in life when we feel like that brand new little bird.

Graduating from college-
Getting married-
Moving to a remote island in the Caribbean-
Moving back to America-
Moving to California-
Finding a job-
Moving to somewhere else (again)-

You feel exposed, vulnerable, and new. We have to find our own way. We may feel insufficient, especially without knowledge to fly, or wings to carry us. 

But it's okay. 

We will grow our wings. We will find our strength, and we will fly. 

Sometimes things just take time.



1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your insightful post. As I get older, I notice that I've been through a number of hatchings. Some have felt like excitement and some have felt like failure. I am thankful that I have family to help me see them all through. "In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on." Robert Frost

    ReplyDelete